Our forefathers traveled over twenty-five miles each Sunday to Harvey Chapel, now Mt. Carmel Missionary Baptist Church, to hear the gospel. Some of them rode in a cart pulled by a horse and others walked in the snow and rain. Deacons Fred Sawyer, Inke White, Charlie Whitehurst, Harry Beasley, and Acoe Griffin decided to build a place closer to their homes to worship. A bush hut was built on the land purchased from Mr. Jerry Sawyer. There were no official signed document; only a verbal promise between Mr. Sawyer and the church officers that this land belonged to the people. Years passed and the congregation outgrew the bush hut. In 1929, the Ramoth Gilead Baptist Church was built. Mr. Jerry Sawyer died and his son and daughter-in-law (Drew and Mary) needed money; "This church is built on our land," they said. There was nothing our forefathers could say or do but purchase the land once more and this time papers were notarized. Shortly after 1929, the congregation added the word "New" to Ramoth Gilead Baptist Church. During this time the deacons and trustees were Joe White, U.S. Wescott, Alexander White, Jordan Jones, and Matthew Beasley, Sr. The church has been rebuilt and remodeled several times under the leadership of Rev. William Hyder, Rev. J. E. Lamb, Rev. Charlie Patterson, Rev. Nichols, Rev. H.C. Sanders, Rev. J.L Johnson, Rev. Joseph M. Moore (25 years), Rev. Vaughan, Rev. Joseph Wills and Rev. Franklin J. Owens (22 years), Rev. James Collins, Rev. Randolphh Fields, and presently Rev. Randy Skeeter.
Back to Pasquotank County Church Information and Research
Back to Pasquotank County Page